Adopt a Family
The Adopt-a-Family Program began in the fall of 1987 when a survivor of domestic violence contacted WHW and asked if any women and children needed donations for the holiday season. This woman had utilized our services in the past and felt that she wanted to help others who may be in similar situations. At that time, there was not a formal program in place. However, as a result of this survivor’s compassion and willingness to assist other survivors, the Adopt-a-Family program began.
What started out with one survivor wanting to give back to her community has grown over the last 26 years to become a generous group of individuals, churches, and businesses committed to supporting survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
How Our Program Works
- In order to be considered for donation, a person must be a current or past client of WHW.
- Families are told about the program and are asked if they would like to be considered for donation. It is our goal to provide donations to all families who need assistance. However, this is contingent on donor participation.
- Information given to donors includes the size of the family, ages of family members and special requests. This information will enable donors to meet specific needs of the family.
- If you are unable to support a family with donations, individual gifts are welcome. Over the past 20 years WHW has linked donors to clients. This has provided a meaningful and joyous holiday season for many families.
- If you would like to adopt a family, donate individual gifts, or ask any questions, please contact Katie at 513.977.5547.